Monday

$.05 Highway robbery...

This is a cautionary tale, folks. I went to the movies this weekend and I was robbed!

Normally, I go to the cheap theater that plays second-run movies a few months after their initial release. I can have a date where my total cost for two tickets, popcorn and a drink is $10.

Well, my gf wanted to see Santa Clause 3 during the holiday season. So, I had some extra money and decided to do something special for her. I am very vague on the actual prices of things, but I must have spent almost $50 for tickets and (here it comes) condiments! At least now the serving sizes match up with the price, bit I would rather pay a dollar for a mini cup (small?) than $3.50 for a medium that is twice the size of McDonald's Supersize!

My only saving grace was that I used my student ID and saved $4 bucks (whoopdy freakin do) and we snuck into another movie (granted, the condiments that we bought for that movie were the same price as the tickets, but still).

So, as a result of this, I have two tips and, as such, this will go in the coin jar:

1. Keep your old student id's. Ususally, you can purchase more than 1 ticket with only one card. Rarely do the attendants actually check the card, so borrow someone else's if you have to.

2. Never, never, never go to the regular movie theater or at least don't buy food there. It's too damn expensive. Find a local second-run theater; it's cheaper and less crowded.

Clink

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes, hold onto those student IDs for dear life. I STILL use mine. Unfortunately, it has an expiration date on in it (12/2007), but I'm hoping that most people don't pay enough attention to notice.
My fiance and I got burned at the movies too -- by the time we bought popcorm and sodas, we spent as much as we would have on a live concert at a major venue... we learned NEVER to go to the movies hungry!

Clink said...

Ugh, you are so on the money with that - to never go hungry!

btc said...

I use my student ID too. Luckily I look really young for my age so I'll probably be able to use it for at least another 10 years. No joke. It also helps that there is no expiration date and my school is in another State so they have no idea of knowing if it's an old card or not.

Clink said...

Hey, that's a plus! When I traveled to NYC, I used to use my FL student ID. I got a few raised eyebrows, but not many.

Anonymous said...

There is another solution to this problem-- Kerasotes Theaters has something called the Five Buck Club. You sign up on the website for free, get a membership card in the mail, and can then go to most movies at your local Kerasotes for Five Bucks a pop. Some areas, five bucks isn't that great a deal, but here in Chicago, it's a significant savings. Usually, you have to wait until a movie's been out for two weeks before it qualifies, but once it does you can see it any time, day or night.

Santa Clause 3, eh? Dude, your girlfriend is lame!

Clink said...

Kerasotas? I'm not familiar with that chain, but then, I live down here in FL; we prob don't have those. That's a great deal, though.

YEah, I know, she loves cheesy movies. But, I can't talk, I love cheesy romantic comedies myself...

I am one with my cheesiness...